The Verona Area School District (VASD) has decided to suspend the fall 2020 sports season as currently scheduled. The Big 8 Conference has also agreed to cancel all Big 8 competitions this fall. VASD will adopt the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association’s (WIAA) proposal to move the fall 2020 sports to spring 2021 for districts that choose to do so. Please note that no seasons will be eliminated (winter, fall, or spring) in the WIAA's truncated season model to make room for another season; this will be a shift of seasons within a truncated model for all sports. The schedule will likely be winter, fall, and then spring, ensuring that the spring season ends at its regular time. However, this is all TBD until the WIAA presents further details.
Our local decision is due to current Public Health Madison and Dane County (PHMDC) sports guidelines that Dane County schools legally must adhere to. The WIAA Board of Control is scheduled to meet on August 14, and we hope to have more information about what this truncated fall season model will look like at that time.
*All Verona Area High School (VAHS) extracurricular activities, including clubs, are included in this suspension until further notice. Clubs may continue their programming virtually, and sports may do so following WIAA Coaching Contact regulations; no in-person programming for any extracurriculars until further notice.*
The VASD Board of Education met on July 27 and voted 4-2 to start the 2020-21 school year with a virtual model of education for grades 3-12 and an in-person, half-day model for K-2.
VAHS will look to provide any opportunities that are available based on public health and WIAA guidance for fall sports and clubs, ensuring that they are reflective of our schooling model and public health guidance.
VASD will implement the following additional provisions in support of the safe reopening of our school and community:
1. Virtual general training activities may be shared for all students. Individual training and workouts may be distributed or scheduled on a virtual platform for synchronous training. For example, stretching, flexibility, and warm-up routines, strength and speed training, conditioning, and mental preparation/sport psychology resources - so long as it follows standard WIAA Coaching Contact rules.
2. VAHS will not have in-person programming this fall: In sync with the Big 8 Conferencestatement regarding fall sports, and clarifying VAHS will not be offering fall sport-specific virtual or in-person coaching during traditional fall dates. We will look to provide opportunities in the spring in whatever means are available based on WIAA guidance for fall sports and reflective of our schooling model and public health guidance. We will offer general fitness, strength, mental health, academic, and social-emotional connection support throughout the year to all students.
3. VAHS will not hold any fall athletics or clubs in person nor encourage students to gather or train outside of school grounds at this time.
● We hope to return to education-based athletic programs with additional guidance from WIAA and local public health, which will allow for the best opportunity to prepare for a safe return to our facilities if able.
● We will provide students with best practices and mental health support along with virtual training opportunities and connections to help facilitate when we are ready to return to in-person activities.
VASD and your athletics and activities programs will continue to provide resources for virtual platforms and best practices to assist in resuming the quality education-based extracurricular programs we offer. These resources will prepare us for a full return to in-person operations when deemed safe and when we can adequately meet the needs for appropriate cleanliness, hygiene, monitoring, and interaction to safely operate programming and additional activities. Further details will come from our program coaches and coordinators regarding virtual opportunities.
Please click the links below to read PHMDC’s current order, frequently asked questions, and sports guidance for K-12 schools, and continue to check the VAHS Athletics and Activities website for updates:
PHMDC Current Order (Emergency Order #8)
PHMDC Frequently Asked Questions
PHMDC K-12 Schools Sports Guidance
VAHS Athletic Department
The Big 8 Conference has made the following decision regarding fall sports. Since all Big 8 member schools are not able to participate fully in conference contests during the current fall season dates as scheduled, Big 8 Conference competitions will not be held, and conference champions will not be named. Please click here to view the official statement made by the Big 8 Conference.
This statement respects any decisions made by individual school districts and decisions that are yet to be made. Overall, the Big 8 Conference will not be competing against one another this fall under the umbrella of the Big 8 Conference as the WIAA fall season is currently structured. Please note that this only relates to the fall season as presently scheduled by the WIAA and is subject to change given further information and guidance from PHMDC, DPI, and the WIAA.
The VASD Board is meeting on Monday, July 27, to vote on the academic model for the fall and stance on fall sports. Communication will go out to families in our community following next week's board meeting that should provide clarity to many of your questions.
The next Big 8 meeting will be on August 17. In the interim, the group of schools that have moved virtually will collaborate on best practices for coaching opportunities and provide ways to engage students by providing mental, emotional, and fitness support robustly through distance learning opportunities. The group will also advocate for additional access once in-person school and athletics return by proposing flexible coach contact regulations during the school year of 2020-21. Finally, in the immediate future, we will provide feedback to the WIAA on other calendars being considered in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Thank you all for your patience and understanding during this saddening, troubling, and challenging time. We will continue to share information with you as it becomes available.
VAHS Athletic Department
There are a lot of questions and perspectives related to Public Health Madison and Dane County’s release of the Forward Dane Plan. Hopefully, this information will help clarify and provide answers to questions as they relate to high school sports.
We continue to gather information and provide clarifications as information is made available to us, as we recognize that the current pandemic climate is not ideal or what we are used to.
The Governor’s General Counsel has defined the end of the 2019-2020 school year as of June 30, 2020 – the statutorily determined end of the school year. This means that school buildings and associated grounds are closed to students for instructional and extracurricular activities through that date.
VASD and VAHS will implement the following additional provisions in support of the Forward Dane Plan and the safe reopening of our schools and community:
1) Virtual summer training activities may begin on June 1st, related to general strength and fitness training. This means individual training or workouts may be shared or scheduled on a virtual platform for synchronous training - such as stretching, flexibility, and warm-up routines, strength and speed training, conditioning, and mental preparation/sport psychology resources - so long as it follows normal WIAA Coaching Contact rules.
2) VAHS athletic programs, including clubs, will not have in-person programming. This includes summer contact, open gyms, camps, clinics, fundraisers, or other in-person training or social opportunities through July 31st. Please note that this also means that coaches shall NOT encourage students to gather together in any capacity on or off VASD facilities/grounds.
Our school buildings will be closed through July 31, 2020. This includes all facilities and grounds, including athletic fields, outdoor courts, and stadiums, with a few exceptions. Please click here to view those facility access exceptions.
VASD athletics and activities shall NOT hold any summer contact sessions in person nor encourage students to gather outside of school grounds, to train through July 31st at this time. Please note that the recently released WIAA Summer Activities Guidance does not apply to VASD at the moment, as a decision was made by VASD not to conduct any summer extracurricular activities:
We hope to have additional guidance before August 1st from the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, Public Health Madison and Dane Country, and the WIAA to prepare for safe return to hybrid in-person academics, facilities usage, and extracurricular activities in the fall, if able.
WIAA sport-specific virtual summer contact can begin July 1st virtually.
The long-term goal is for a return to normal operations when deemed safe and when we can meet the needs for appropriate cleanliness, hygiene, monitoring, and interaction to safely operate athletic programming.
2020 WIAA Division 1 State Hockey Champions
Verona Area High School currently offers 22 athletics programs to our students. Each program consists of a varsity team, junior varsity team and in some cases include multiple freshman teams. Our coaching staff consists of 75 coaches passionate about sports and students.
Athletes must complete a physical examination, a concussion release, and an emergency contact form to participate in these activities. An athletic fee is also required, which varies depending on the number of sports a student participates in and how many family members are involved.
Verona Area High School welcomes you to our athletic website. We remind you that interscholastic events are an extension of the classroom, and lessons are best learned when respect is shown to all.
Please, show good sportsmanship during games and show respect for coaches, players, officials, and fans.
Cheer for your team and not against the opposing team. Avoid profanity, racist; sexist; or ethnic comments; or other intimidating or taunting actions. Let the coaches coach, the officials officiate and the players play.
Enjoy Verona Area High School sports!